Blockchain Games Types & Genres
Blockchain games are becoming more and more popular. This is because they offer a unique gaming experience that cannot be found in traditional video games.
In this article, we will examine the different types of blockchain games available to players. We will also explore the variety of game genres that are available, and discuss how blockchain technology is changing the gaming industry.
If you’re interested in learning more about blockchain games, read on!
What is a blockchain game?
Blockchain games are a type of video game that uses blockchain technology to create a unique gaming experience. The blockchain is a distributed database that allows players to interact with each other in a trustless environment. This means that there is no need for third-party intermediaries such as game publishers or platforms such as Steam.
Many of these games are web-based but some are also available on different operating systems such as Android, IOS, and Windows.
How do blockchain games work?
Blockchain games work by storing the game data on a blockchain. This data can include anything from player progress to in-game assets (tokens). This allows players to interact with each other directly without the need for a middleman.
Players can trade these in-game tokens with each other which allows them to build up their own collection of in-game assets.
Key concepts used by blockchain game developers:
- Game mechanics – Mechanics can include anything from blockchain-based economies to unique ways of transferring assets. One of the most popular blockchain game mechanics is the use of NFTs.
- Tokenomics – This term is used to describe the economic aspects of blockchain games. This includes concepts such as token value, supply, and demand.
- Decentralization – Blockchain-based game that is not hosted on a centralized server. This means that there is no need for a third -party to host the game.
Now that we know what blockchain games are and how they operate, let’s take a look at the different types of blockchain games that are available.
» Learn more: Blockchain gaming guide for beginners
Different types of blockchain games
For the most part, when we discuss blockchain games, we talk about play-to-earn (P2E) games.
P2E is a type of blockchain game where players can earn cryptocurrencies or NFTs while they play the game. This is in contrast to traditional video games, where players can only earn in-game items or rewards.
Play-to-earn games can be classified into two categories: cryptocurrency and NFT games (or a combination of these two).
- Cryptocurrency games are the most popular type of blockchain game. This is because they allow players to earn cryptocurrencies by playing the game. Some examples include Bitcoin Billionaire and Blockchain Cuties.
- NFT games are blockchain games that use non-fungible tokens (NFTs) as their in-game currency that you can earn or purchase from marketplaces. Some examples of NFT games include CryptoKitties and Gods Unchained.
» Learn more: NFT games: A guide for beginners
In addition, P2E games can be divided into free-to-play (F2P) and pay-to-play (P2P) gaming economics.
- F2P game mechanics are self-explanatory. It allows players to earn cryptocurrencies or NFTs without having to spend any money.
- With P2P games, players need to pay in order to start the gameplay. This might involve buying a cryptocurrency supported by that game or buying an NFT that you would need in order to start playing.
Now that we have covered P2E and their classifications, let’s talk about different types (genres) of blockchain games.
Similar to traditional video games, crypto games come in all shapes and sizes.
Here is a list of the most popular blockchain game types:
- Collectible card games (CCGs) are a type of blockchain game in which players collect unique cards. These cards may be used to enhance their characters or to gain an advantage in the game.
- Shooter games are a type of blockchain game in which players fight enemies in real-time. This genre is similar to popular games such as Call of Duty.
- Action/adventure games are a type of blockchain game that combines the action and adventure genres. These games often have an open-world environment that players can explore at their leisure.
- MMOs are a type of blockchain game that allows players to interact with each other in a virtual world. These games are often compared to popular titles such as World of Warcraft.
- Metaverse games are a kind of blockchain game that allows players to create and explore their own virtual worlds. These games are similar to sandbox games such as Minecraft.
- Role-playing games (RPGs) are a type of blockchain game in which players assume the role of a character and complete quests or missions.
- Sports games are a variety of crypto games that simulate real-world sports. These games are often played by two or more players.
The blockchain gaming industry is growing at a surprising rate and shows no signs of slowing down. With blockchain technology, developers are only limited by their imagination.
The benefits of playing blockchain games
Here are some reasons why blockchain games are a stronger option than traditional video games.
- First of all, blockchain games are proven to be fair. This means that players can be confident that the game is not cheating them. This is because the blockchain verifies all transactions, and ensures that no player can gain an unfair advantage.
- Secondly, blockchain games are decentralized. This means that there is no need for a central authority to control the game. Players can interact with each other on a peer-to-peer basis, which creates a more democratic gaming environment.
- Blockchain games are secure. This is because the blockchain is a tamper-proof database that cannot be hacked or altered. This makes it a safer option than traditional video games, which are often susceptible to hacks and data breaches.
- Blockchain games are transparent. This means that all game-related data is open and accessible to the public. This allows players to audit the game and make sure that it is fair and honest.
- Finally, blockchain games are immutable. This means that once a game has been played, the data cannot be changed or deleted. This creates a permanent record of all game-related transactions.
Examples of popular blockchain games
Now that you understand the different types of blockchain games, it’s time to try them out for yourself. Here are some popular blockchain games that you can start playing right now:
- CryptoKitties is a crypto game in which players collect and breed digital cats. The game has been likened to the Tamagotchi virtual pet toy.
- Axie Infinity is a blockchain-based game where players collect and battle digital Axies. The game has been compared to the Pokemon franchise.
- Blockchain Cuties is a blockchain-based game that allows players to collect and breed digital animals. The game is similar to the Nintendo Animal Crossing series.
- Thetan Arena is a game where players battle each other for supremacy. The game has been likened to the popular MOBA title, Dota II.
- Splinterlands is a blockchain game in which players battle each other for dominance. The game has been compared to the popular TCG title, Magic: The Gathering.
These are just a few examples. There are currently over 400 active blockchain games, up from just a few dozen in 2016. Over the past several years, statistics show that the number of blockchain games has exploded as developers race to create the next big hit.
The future of blockchain gaming
The blockchain gaming industry is still in its infancy, and there are many more exciting things to come.
For example, blockchain games can be used to create digital assets that can be traded on secondary markets. This could lead to the creation of a whole new economy that revolves around blockchain games.
In addition, blockchain games can be used to create digital worlds that are separate from the real world. These virtual worlds can be used to host all sorts of activities including gaming, social networking, and e-commerce.
Finally, blockchain games can be used to create decentralized platforms that allow players to interact with each other without the need for a central authority. This could lead to the creation of a new type of online community that is based on blockchain technology.
The future of blockchain gaming is exciting, and there are many great things to come. Stay tuned!