What is an NFT Whitelist (Allowlist)?
What is an NFT whitelist or allow list? How do I get whitelisted for NFT projects? What are the benefits of being whitelisted? Why are NFT projects creating whitelists?
If you’re new to the world of NFTs, you may be wondering what all of this talk about whitelists is about. In this blog post, I will explain everything you need to know about NFT whitelists and how to get whitelisted for your favorite NFT projects!
Before we go into more details, let’s cover some basics and define an NFT whitelist.
NFT whitelist (allowlist) meaning
A whitelist (or allow list) is a curated list of users that have been vetted and approved by the team that is launching an NFT project.
In the NFT industry, whitelisting refers to the process of selecting loyal users or early adapters, collecting their info (usually crypto wallet addresses), and approving them to participate in NFT minting when the project launches.
If you are whitelisted for a specific NFT project, you are guaranteed to be first in line to mint NFTs from the project.
» Learn more: How to mint an NFT (step-by-step)
Why do NFT projects use whitelisting?
The NFT industry is still very new and there are way more active NFT projects than there are people who actually understand and use NFTs.
In order to increase the chance of a successful NFT project or P2E game, creators use whitelisting as a way to select and onboard NFT users that are more likely to stay with the project in the long term.
Projects use NFT whitelisting to mint NFTs to people that are more likely to:
- Hold NFTs for a longer period of time.
- Sell them at a higher price on the secondary market.
- Use NFTs in the project’s ecosystem.
In other words, different NFT projects use whitelisting to increase the chance that NFTs will end up in the hands of people that will hold them and support the project.
What are the benefits of getting a whitelist spot?
There are multiple benefits to getting a whitelist spot for NFT projects:
- You are guaranteed to mint NFTs from the project.
- You often receive an exclusive deal that is not available to the public.
- You are usually able to mint NFTs at a discounted price or for free.
- You can avoid a gas war when the NFT project launches (this happens when too many people try to mint NFTs at the same time and the cost of transaction fees increases).
- You secure early access to the NFT project’s ecosystem and become a part of the community.
All of these benefits make getting a whitelist spot for NFT projects a very attractive proposition.
But, how do you actually get whitelisted for top NFT projects?
How to get whitelisted for an NFT project
There are a few different ways that NFT projects select people for their whitelist:
- The most common method is to post a signup form on the project’s website where people can enter their information (usually just their crypto wallet address).
- Other NFT projects run social media contests where people can win a spot on the whitelist.
- And finally, some NFT projects hand-pick people from their community, for example, a Discord server, for being active and helpful within the group.
» Learn more: In-depth guide on how to get NFT whitelists
If you want to increase your chances of getting a spot on an NFT project’s whitelist, I would recommend signing up for as many NFT newsletters as possible and following NFT projects on social media.
This way, you will be one of the first people to hear about new NFT projects and you will have a chance to sign up for their whitelist before it fills up.
How do you check to see if you are whitelisted?
If you are not sure if you are whitelisted, you can always reach out to the NFT project team and ask.
What happens when you get a spot on an NFT whitelist?
When you secure a place on an NFT whitelist, you will receive instructions from the NFT project team about how to submit your NFT wallet for minting.
After you submit your NFT wallet address, the team will add your wallet to the list of wallets that can mint NFTs first when the project launches.
Can you buy or sell an NFT whitelist spot?
Yes, you can buy or sell NFT whitelist spots on different forums or Telegram groups.
However, I would not recommend buying or selling NFT whitelist spots because it goes against the spirit of NFT projects. NFT projects use whitelisting to onboard NFT users that are more likely to support the project in the long run.
I hope this blog post has helped you to understand what NFT whitelisting is and how to get whitelisted for NFT projects.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us or reach out to me on Twitter at @artemmin.